OK, so I wanted to get one of those cool touch screen tablets everybody was flaunting, but I did not want to spend a bomb on something which I may get bored of soon. Next thing I know, I see an offer on a deal site and I order the Fujezone Touchpad, a chinese touch screen tablet that was advertised with a 7″ Touch Screen, Android V2.2 Froyo, a VIA Wondermedia WM8650 processor running at 800 MHz, 256 MB DDR RAM, and 2 GB of Nand Flash storage. It also has a microSD card slot that supports cards upto 32 GB.
Now, it looks great on paper, and I was impressed by its look and feel at first. But as I started to use it, I found that although it had an App Market in the menu, the apps available in the market were very few. And more surprisingly, popular apps like Angry Birds, Google Maps, and The Weather Channel were nowhere to be found, no matter how hard I searched. I then tried to use the inbuilt internet browser to browse to the apps’ website and download the app from there. To my shock, I received a message that my device was not registered with the official Google Android App Market, and I could not download any of the apps. I realized that I was stuck with a crippled Android Touchpad which was useless without support for the official Android Market.
So I started looking around for solutions and after a lot of experimenting, I finally managed to format my Fujezone Chinese Touchpad and install a proper official Google Android Market on it. This solution works for most Chinese Touch Screen Tablets which have the VIA Wondermedia WM8650 processor. It works for tablets with Green and Blue LED’s and also for tablets with and without the vibrate on startup function.
Here is what you need to do to install a proper working Google Android Apps Market (Google Play) on your VIA Wondermedia WM8650 based chinese tablet:
- Download the Uberoid ROM for WM8650 here. (You will need to register for free). The Uberoid ROM works for most VIA WM8650 based tablets, including Apad, ePad, Touchpad, etc.
- Extract the files to a SD card on your computer or laptop.
- Run the changer.bat file, and enter the number that corresponds to the model number of your tablet. (There is a long list of options available in the file). For the Fujezone Touchpad pictured above, I found that option number 11 worked best.
UPDATE: Some people have reported that option 8 works well for this tablet too, especially with the new version of Uberoid.
- Backup any important data on your tablet, and power off your tablet. Make sure it is fully turned off and not in sleep mode.
- Insert the SD card in the tablet and turn it on. Your tablet will now boot from the SD and load the new ROM. Follow the instructions, and you will have a much better, and usable WM8650 tablet!
Fully Functional Google Android Market in the Fujezone 7″ VIA Wondermedia WM8650 Touchpad!!
Sometimes, you may need to experiment with different model numbers to find which configuration works best for your tablet. If you find that after loading the new ROM, you have no sound, or no network or worse, your tablet does not boot, do not panic. Simply remove the SD card, put it back in your computer or laptop, and run the changer.bat file again. Choose a different model number option and repeat the above process till you get it right.